- 2 Kg firm ripe guavas
- 2 Kg Sugar
- 1 tbsp citric acid (preservative to give jelly a longer life)
- Cochineal (Food Colour)
- Cut guavas into small pieces and boil in 2 liters water for half an hour.
- Do not stir.
- Strain the water into a separate vessel through a fine cloth.
- Boil the guava syrup till one third of the quantity remains.
- Add sugar, stir and allow to boil, stirring occasionally.
- As the syrup begins to thicken, add citric acid and red colour (Cochineal-Food Colour ).
- Cook on strong heat. Test by dropping some syrup into cold water.
- If it sets, your jelly is ready. Pour it hot into jars and seal it tightly.