Steamed Fish in Banana Leaf
You will need –
- 1 kg. pomphret or surmai
- 1/2 cup green coriander chutney
- a little oil
- 1 lemon or 2 tblsp. Vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- pieces of banana leaf or 8 to 10 pieces of canna leaves
- If you get small pomphrets, keep them whole, clean and wash thoroughly.
- If you have a larger fish, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices. Rub the mixture of salt, turmeric and vinegar on the fish, cover and keep aside for half an hour.
- Wash and dry. If you have whole fish, fill each fish with chutney.
- If you have pieces, rub a little chutney on each fish, then place some chutney in between two pieces and keep aside.
- Trim the leaves, cutting off the thick stems so that they can be rolled and folded easily. If necessary, hold them over steam for a minute or two, to make them soft.
- Apply a little oil to each leaf, place one whole fish or 2 pieces of fish on it, tie a bundle with a thread. Steam the bundles in a double boiler for about 30 minutes.
- Remove, untie the bundle and serve. You may use any chutney of your choice, e.g. with coconut or mint leaves, or garlic, etc.