Broken Wheat Pulao recipe
Wheat fada or dalia are broken wheat pieces, available generally at the grocers you can make them at home on your grinder as well. The pieces should resemble coarse rice. Before cooking, wash and soak the fada in warm water for half an hour. This is very healthy pulao. To make the pulao you need the following ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups wheat fada (Broken Wheat)
- 1/2 cup moong (green gram) dal
- 1/2 cup each of two or three vegetables chopped (peas, carrots, potatoes etc)
- 3 tbsp ghee, one large onion
- 6 petals garlic
- 3/4 inch ginger
- 3 green chilies
- 2 inch cinnamon, 1 tsp cumin seed
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Slice the onion, garlic and ginger very finely.
- Slit the chilies lengthwise. Heat the ghee, add cumin seed and cinnamon, then the onion, garlic and ginger and fry till color changes.
- Add the vegetables fry a little longer and add 5 cups of hot water.
- When the water starts boiling, add the fada (Broken Wheat) and moong dal, salt and sugar, and chilies.
- Reduce heat and cook, covered, till done.
- Add more hot water if necessary.
- Keep the pulao a little on the softer side and serve hot