Creamy Lettuce Soup Recipe
Make this delicious soup with fresh, tender lettuce. Serve with some interesting bread; it is a meal by itself.
- 2 tablespoons butter, preferably unsalted
- 2 small, fresh lettuces, washed well
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons flour, sifted
- 3 cups milk (If you don’t want to use so much milk, you can make a lighter soup by using half the quantity of milk + half water, flavored with a soup cube)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream
- tablespoons grated cheese
A heavy, preferably flat-bottomed, pan
- Melt the butter over gentle heat.
- Add the lettuce, torn (not cut) by hand into bite-sized pieces. Also add the onion and sauté the vegetables gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour, and stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps, cook for 3-4 minutes till the flour has lost its raw smell.
- Add the milk. Do this gradually, whisking while you’re doing it. When it’s well blended, raise the heat and let it come o the boil, after which reduce the heat again, cover the pan and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Take off the fire and cool or a while.
- Puree the mixture, add salt and pepper and if you are ready to serve, return to the fire. Heat but don’t let it come to the boil.
- Meanwhile beat together the yolk, cream and cheese. Add a little hot soup to it and mix well; then pour it into the pan of soup on the fire.
- Stir continuously as the mixture blends completely. Cook till thickened slightly.
- Cool and chill.