Dahi Vada/Dahi Bhalla
You will need –
- 1/2 cups urad dal (black gram)
- 4 cops curd
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
- 2 tblsp. grated fresh coconut
- 2 tblsp. chopped coriander leaves
- 2 green chilies
- 1 inch ginger
- salt and sugar to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seed powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Soak the urad dal for three hours. Soaking the dal longer makes the wadas oily. Drain and grind it very finely. Add salt and 1 12 tblsp. hot oil, mix well.
- Heat oil and fry three or four wadas at a time, until golden brown.
- Wet you hands so that the mixture does not stick to the hands.
- Take plenty of water (or half water and half buttermilk; this is better) in a large shallow pan. Add a little salt and sugar to this.
- Drop the fried wadas, few at a time, in this. When the next batch of wada is fried, remove the first batch from the water, press between two palms lightly to remove excess water and keep aside.
- Repeat the process with all the wadas. Half an hour before serving arrange the wadas in serving bowl. Beat the curd, add salt and sugar to taste.
- Grind the ginger and chilies coarsely and add to the curd along with coriander leaves and coconut. Mix well and pour over the wadas.
- Sprinkle cumin seed powder and chili powder on top. Keep in fridge till serving time.