2 tablespoons sugar 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch 2 tablespoons water 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest 2 individual round sponge cakes 2 cups fresh blueberries Whipped topping, optional
- In a small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in water. Add 1 cup strawberries; mash mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in lime zest.
- Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- Cut sponge cakes crosswise in half; trim each to fit in bottoms of 4 wide-mouth half-pint canning jars.
- In a small bowl, mix blueberries and remaining strawberries; spoon over cakes. Top with sauce.
- If desired, serve with whipped topping.
Test Kitchen Tips:
Shortcakes (homemade or store-bought) can be swapped for sponge cake here if that floats your boat. Crumble large pieces into the bottom of the canning jars before topping with fruit and sauce. A little vanilla extract folded into the whipped topping-or fresh whipped cream, if you prefer-is delicious.
1 serving: 124 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (219 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.