Meat with Tomato Recipe
An everyday meat curry except that it is rich in tomatoes. It looks very appetizing too and goes well with a rice preparation.
- ½ kg meat, well washed
- 5 tomatoes, blanched and chopped or pureed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1″ stick cinnamon
- 2 small onions, ground
- 1-1/2″ piece of ginger, ground
- 5-6 cloves garlic, ground
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped or ground
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
A pressure cooker; electric blender if you decide to puree the tomatoes
- In the cooker, heat the oil. Add the bay leaves and chilies. When the chilies turn dark, remove them from the oil and discard.
- Add the cinnamon and after a few seconds, the onions Fry light brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry golden brown.
- Add the chilies and spices and fry a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar, and salt. Fry till the fat separates. If you have not pureed the tomatoes, mash them well while they are cooking.
- Add the meat. Fry in the tomato paste till it’s lightly browned all over.
- Add the water. The curry should look thinner than you want it eventually. Close the cooker and bring to maximum pressure. Lower the heat and cook another 15-25 minutes or till the meat is tender and the curry has thickened.