Appetizing Herb Chicken Recipe
With no spices but relying on herbs for flavor, this is a simple and delicious preparation. What is more, it is one of those satisfying all-in-one meals. This version is made with potatoes and peas, but you can add any other vegetables that you like. It is best served with rice and bread.
- 1 chicken weighing about 700 gm, cleaned and jointed
- 2 large potatoes, sliced
- 100 gm peas
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1-2 green chilies, de-seeded and chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, ground
- 1-1/2″ piece of ginger, ground
- 3 onions, ground
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 4-5 leaves basil (tulsi)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
A large karahi or heavy-bottomed pan
- Heat the oil. Don’t overheat it. Drop the chilies and curry leaves into it.
- After a few seconds, add the ginger and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes, stirring almost continuously.
- Add the onions and fry golden brown.
- Puree the tomatoes with the coriander and add to the pan along with the tomato sauce, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Fry till the fat separates.
- Add the chicken, potatoes and peas.
- Add enough water to make gravy of a thin consistency.
- Cover and cook till all the vegetables and chicken are tender, and the curry has thickened to the consistency you desire.