Brinjal Pickle, बेंगन का आचार
- 1 kg long brinjals, washed and chopped in 1″ pieces
- 1 cup refined oil
- 2 pods garlic, ground or chopped
- 2 piece of ginger, ground or chopped
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups vinegar (white)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar (as per taste)
- 2 tablespoons salt
A large, heavy-bottomed pan or karahi
- Soak the chilli powder, cumin seeds, mustard powder, fenugreek seeds and turmeric powder in the vinegar for at least half an hour. Grind together.
- Heat the oil in the pan and fry the ground spices and ginger and garlic in it for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the salt and sugar.
- Bring to the boil and add the brinjals. Stir well and continue to cook on a very slow fire till the brinjals are cooked and the mixture has thickened.
- Cool, bottle and store in a dry place.
- The pickle is ready to serve immediately.