Rice and Dal Dhokla
There are many verieties of this very popular dish from Gujarat. This one should be served with green chutney and raw oil (for those who like
You will need –
- 1 cup rice
- 3/4 cup chana dal (bengal gram)
- 3/4 cup (green gram) dal
- 1/2 cup urad (black gram) dal
- 1/2 tsp. soda-bi-carb
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 tblsp.curd
- salt to taste
- green chilies
- Soak the rice and all the dals for eight hours in lukewarm water.
- Drain and grind finely. Heat oil and add it to the mixture, also add the curd, salt, soda and (lukewarm water if necessary) to make a thick batter.
- Mix well, cover and keep aside for another eight hours. Grease plates or shallow pans in which you can steam an inch thick layer of the batter.
- Pour the batter 3/4 inch deep in these pans and steam in a double boiler for about thirty minutes. Remove, cool and cut in one inch square.
- The ready dhokla should be whitish yellow and spongy soft.