You will need –
- 750 gms small
- round brinjals of the black, green or dark purple variety
- 2 medium sized onions
- 3 tblsp. fresh or grated coconut
- 4 tblsp. chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tblsp. dhana-jira powder or kala masala
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1- 1/2 tblsp. jaggery or sugar
- 1 tblsp. gram flour
- salt to taste
- 5 tblsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida
- 2 tblsp. tamarind water (optional).
- Keeping a small portion of the stem intact, cut off the rest of the stem and make crisscross, two slits on the top side of each brinjal to stuff the filling.
- Chop the onion finely and mix all the ingredients with it. Mix well, then stuff a little of the mixture in each brinjal. Keep aside the remaining stuffing if any.
- Heat the oil, add mustard seeds, asafoetida and a little turmeric. Put in the brinjals and turn them slowly till they are well coated with oil.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid with some water on top of the lid. Stir once in a while till half done.
- Add the remaining stuffing if any and tamarind water or a little ordianry water, mix and simmer gently till done. There should be very thick and very little gravy.