Dry Garlic Chutney Recipe
This dry chutney is a combination of coconut, garlic, chili powder and tamarind. It is widely used in Maharashtra in Vada Pav.
- 1/2 dry coconut
- 2 whole pods of garlic (approx. 1/3 cup petals)
- 1 to 1-1/2 tbsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- A few pieces of dry tamarind
- One tsp. oil
- Grate and fry the coconut on low heat (without adding any oil) till the flavor comes out and the color changes slightly.
- Peel the garlic pods and roast them over low flame in a pan for 1 minute. Turn off flame and transfer them to a plate
- Now, pound them along with salt, chili powder and tamarind.
- Add the roasted coconut, mix thoroughly and pound again, till a uniformly pounded mixture is formed.
- Do not make it very fine.
- Add one tsp. oil, mix and pound a little.
- Chutney is ready.
- Store in a tight lidded jar or tin or airtight container.
- Lasts for a long time
- Use it as a spread for preparing vada pav or dosa.