Butter Braised Cabbage with Pepper
You will need –
- 500 to 600 gms cabbage
- 8 tblsp. Butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Try to get small cabbages, so you can get more convenient sized pieces.
- If you have small ones, cut each one into four pieces, keeping a portion of the stem in each piece, so that the leaves do not come loose.
- If you have bigger cabbage, cut it in a similar way, into 6 or 8 pieces.
- Immerse them in cold water for half an hour. In a thick shallow pan, put half the butter and melt it on low heat.
- Place the cabbage pieces on this. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and dot them with remaining butter. Do not add any water.
- Cover with a heavy lid, with water on top of the lid and cook on low heat. After 10 to 15 minutes, turn all the pieces carefully once and cook again till done.
- If there is excess juice in the pan after the cabbage is cooked, either evaporate it, increasing the heat and keeping the pan open, or use it in the gravy.