Fish with Curd/Dahi Maach/दही मच्छी Recipe
Fish cooked in curds is a well-loved combination. This recipe, cooked in mustard oil, is a fragrant and flavorful example. It goes particularly well with plain boiled rice.
- ½ kg hilsa/ilish, bekti or any other fleshy fish, cleaned and cut in pieces
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mustard oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 green chilies, sliced lengthwise
- 2 onions, ground
- 1″ piece ginger, ground
- ½ cup curds, lightly beaten
- ½ – 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon ghee or melted butter
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
A heavy-bottomed pan or karahi with a lid
- Mix together the salt and turmeric and rub all over fish pieces. Keep aside for half an hour.
- Heat the oil to smoking point, and then reduce heat and 5 minutes. Slip the pieces of fish into the oil and fry till golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
- In the same oil (remove the excess, leaving only tablespoons in the pan), add the bay leaves and green chilies. Fry a few seconds.
- Add the onion and fry light brown.
- Add the ginger and stirring constantly, fry till golden brown.
- Add the curds and sugar and mix well.
- Add the fish pieces and coat each well with the mix in the pan. Check salt, adding more if needed.
- Add cup water. Blend in well, and then cover the pan simmer fish gently over low heat till fully cooked.
- Before serving stir in the ghee or butter and garnish with garam masala.