Fragrant Spicy Ladies Fingers/Okra Recipe
Curry leaves add a fragrant touch and mustard seeds and spices make for a pleasant change from the more usual cumin and coriander.
- ½ kg ladies fingers, washed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 piece of ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 7-8 curry leaves, torn up
- 1-2 green chilies, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sambhar powder
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt to taste
A heavy-bottomed pan or karahi with a lid, a tava
- Heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and fry till they start spluttering.
- Add the ginger and curry leaves and chilies. Fry till the ginger is lightly browned.
- Add the sambhar powder and fry a few seconds.
- Tip in the vegetable, stir well and let it cook on a slow heat till it is a little more than half-cooked.
- Add the salt, stir, cover, put the tava underneath and cover till soft.
- Before serving, toss in the lime juice.
- Serves 4