Black-Eyed Pea Curry
You will need –
- 300 gms. Rangoon Beans, (also known as Double beans or Lobia)
- 250 gms ripe tomatoes
- 1 tblsp. tomato ketchup
- 1 large onion
- 6 petals garlic
- 2 heaped tblsp. Butter
- chili powder and sugar to taste
- Soak the beans in lukewarm water overnight or for at least 12 hours, adding a pinch of soda-bi-carb to the water.
- Then wash the beans and cook them or steam them in the pressure cooker, taking care not to overcook them.
- Blanch and chop the tomatoes finely; chop the onion and garlic finely.
- Melt butter and fry the garlic and onion in it till onion changes colour.
- Add tomatoes, fry till tomatoes become pulpy. Add the chili powder and the cooked beans.
- Keep a little portion of the beans aside. Add sugar, salt, tomato ketchup to the pan, mix well and simmer.
- Mash the portion of beans kept aside and add it to the pan.
- Stir, simmer for a few minutes, and remove. There should be enough gravy but it should not be watery.