Egg based Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
This is the simple egg-based recipe. This creamy custard based homemade vanilla ice cream recipe tastes like heaven. Custard can be used as the base for any ice cream flavor you can imagine like chocolate or any other flavor. Practice and perfect it and add to the list of variations.
- 1-1/4 cups milk or light cream
- 2 eggs or preferably 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 3-4 tablespoons ground sugar (as per taste)
- 1/4 tablespoons vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
A small heavy-bottomed pan, a hand or electric beater, an ice cream tray
- Gently heat the milk or cream. Do not let it come to the boil.
- Meanwhile, with a fork or whisk, beat together the sugar and eggs.
- Pour a little hot milk on to the eggs-sugar mixture, stirring all the time. Blend well, then turn into the heated milk. Cook stirring all the time, till the custard thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Turn off the flame.
- Stir in the vanilla essence, sprinkle over the sugar (to prevent a skin forming), and leave to cool completely.
- Whip the cream till fluffy, then tightly, with a metal spoon, add into the custard. Turn into the tray in which you are freezing.
- Freeze for about 1-1/2 hours, then take out, and with a hand or an electric beater, beat smooth. Refreeze till needed.
Variation: Instead of the vanilla essence, melt a bar of chocolate or add 3-4 tablespoons cocoa to the milk